Saturday, January 3, 2009

A thrifting journey begins ...

I recently stumbled across a new passion: Thrifting! Oh the thrill of thrifting. The sweet sweet pleasure of finding that deliciously perfect treasure. The addiction.

I'm not entirely sure where or how this began. That said, quick analysis would point a few key contributing factors -- a mother with expert thrifting skills, a debilitating love for shopping, owning my first home with lots of rooms to fill, a new found love for vintage, ornate, and kitschy decorating, and an absolute inability to find deals when clothes shopping (it's all about balance, isn't it).

I'm starting out small, but the plan is to grow into a full out "thriftkitty queen" ... one day. Patience dear tadpole, patience.

So, what is thrifting you say?

The Wikipedia definition of thrifting is pretty close to mine:

"Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, [consignment shop], flea market, garage sale, or a shop of a charitable organization, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a cheap price. A larger philopsophy permeates the act of thrifting which celebrates the recyling of formally-owned items, finding new use and new love for vintage material goods which had been thrown out, and the thrill of imaging what the former life of the item was like."

Why a blog you ask?

When starting this journey, I realized that there weren't many resources readily available. Where does one find these ever elusive Estate Sales? Where are the best local thrift stores, consignment shops, and flea markets?
Who will help me learn the tricks of the trade? How frustrating!!

Okay. Frustrating perhaps ... but also an opportunity.

My plan = create a blog that documents my journey, shares resources, tips, tricks, and some of my best finds!

I'm new to this and a very busy girl, so please be patient, share your own ideas and great finds, and of course support!

Let the journey begin!

XOXO
ThriftKitty

1 comment: